Re: O2 sensor

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 00:16:16 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com> wrote:
>

>>Ok, I remember that I need to mangle a socket to R/R this, anybody
>>remember what size I need?
>

> I believe you can buy O2 sensor sockets, might want to check at
> the local auto parts stores; depending on the price, it might be worth
> picking one of those up instead of the time invested to modify a
> socket, especially if you have to buy that socket in the first place.
>
> Speaking of sockets, I've never used one to remove an O2 sensor.
> So far, I've been able to get by with just a box end wrench, and
> possibly a cresent wrench. The O2 sensors in my '96 take
> approximately a 7/8" or 22mm wrench. If you have both, you might want
> to go with the 22mm as it should be a tighter fit by about 9
> thousandths.
>
> If possible, hit it with some PB blaster several times over the
> course of a few days before you attempt the removal. Might help in
> case yours is one of the stubborn ones, and the odds are pretty good
> it will be if its the original sensor. If the replacement sensor
> doesn't already come with anti-sieze on the threads, its probably not
> a bad idea to use some.
>
> If worse comes to worse and it gets really buggered up, an O2
> sensor bung can be had for $5 or so, just drill a hole, weld it in
> place and install the new sensor. (An even cheaper alternative is to
> buy an 18mm x 1.5 nut at the hardware store and weld that in place as
> the bung.)

Well, I just bought the sensor and the cut out socket [$10!!!] tonight.
  The exhaust is new from the Y pipe back, so it should come out OK.
The size they sold me was 7/8" but I think I am going to have a go at a
chinese socket with an angle grinder first before I bugger up the new
socket. I have plenty of spares. I wonder if sears would warranty a
socket that had been "converted" <grins>