Auto Tranny Shifting problems

From: Dale Schultz (d.schultz@sympatico_NOSPAM_.ca)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2007 - 21:25:43 EDT

Hi:
I have a 1998 with 318 and auto transmission. It has developed some shifting
problem and as the temperature goes up the problem gets worst. In the winter
the shifting seems fine for about the first 5 - 10 minutes of driving. As the
fluid heats up, I presume, the shifting point seems to creep higher. From
second to third I have to get the RPM up to about 3000 before it will shift and
then it is quite abrupt.

I had the fluid and filter changed at the dealer about 3 years (20,000km) ago.
I changed the rad about a year ago (the tranny fluid runs through the rad for
cooling). The fluid level is fine when checked standing on flat ground, warm,
running and in neutral.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dale