RE: RE: Auto Tranny Shifting problems

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2007 - 08:34:36 EDT

Before anyone gets in a panic over this TSB Bernd so kindly provided, those
of us with older vehicles that came from the factory with something other
than ATF+4 should note that while the TSB says ATF+4 is backward compatible
and can be used to top off vehicles that used ATF+3, ATF+2, or ATF+, nowhere
does it say one *must* use ATF+4 (unless originally so equipped). It also
does not say "OMG, we've been putting the wrong crap in our transmissions
all these years and you'd better get it all out of there now or your tranny
will self destruct."

When ATF+3, +2, etc. originally became available, they too were the
"recommended" fluid and were also backward compatible. Technology,
materials and tolerances improve over time and lubricants are developed to
support them.

Refilling with the same type of fluid as originally equipped will not
*create* a problem any more than a few quarts of the newer formula are
likely to *solve* any problems you may be experiencing. I've yet to find
magic in a bottle of anything.

Ray
1992 Dakota
2000 Jeep GC