Re: Auto Tranny Shifting problems

From: Jon Smith (DML@fast4x4.net)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2007 - 00:06:56 EDT

Phillip Batson wrote:
> I've had the transmission fluid and filters changed on my 2000 4.7L(95k miles). Made no real difference. When I put it in gear right after starting it, it will sometimes act like it isn't in gear until I either move it to park and back to drive/reverse again or if I gun the gas. It also drops out of OD when I hit any large bumps in the road. Sometimes I have to hit the button to disable OD and then renable it to get it to go into OD. Not sure what that is about.
> I don't usually wait until something breaks before I have it serviced, but money has been tight lately, so I've been putting off taking it in and having the trans rebuilt. I'm assuming that is the only thing that will fix it.

Seriously doubt an overhaul would correct anything there. (I am
skimming this thread) I believe I saw Bernd post the converter filter
(spin on filter) PN, if it ends in "AA" it's junk. Either no suffix, or
one that ends in "AB". Make sure you have a good seal, no nicks in the
case where the filter spins on. Make sure to install a new sump filter
seal into the pump (seal into pump, then filter into seal).

There have been issues with vehicles stalling out due to an air bubble,
usually sucked in through a poor seal @ the filter(s). Normally causes
a stall @ low vehicle speed while cornering, hard braking, or other such
sharp maneuvers. Also, where is the fluid level? Usually overfilling
by ~1/2 quart can correct (or lessen the occurance) of the above
condition.

-Jon Smith