OT: Outboard Repair Question

From: Jamie Calder (jcalder3@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2007 - 23:17:02 EDT

I've posted my problem on several boating/jet boat forums but no response
yet. I hope this off topic question doesn't bother too many people :)

I have a 2001 Sea Doo Islandia 23' deck boat, 2 stroke 240 Merc EFI mated to
a jet drive. The RPM's won't go above 4900-5000 RPM's. Operating RPM's
should be 5500-6000 RPM's. I did a compression check and all were around 130
psi. Next, I would like to verify all cylinders are firing. What's the
easiest way to do this? If 1 or more aren't running, how do I tell which
ones? Any other ideas or suggestions regarding this problem are appreciated.
Also at idle to about 1500 RPM's the engine is extremely rough. More shaky
then the 604 cam in my '93 Dakota. So if all the cylinders are firing, maybe
something else is off balance like a bad impeller? Would this also slow the
engine and boat down?

Thanks,
James