Re: Brake booster

From: Phil Jenkins (bugnik@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2007 - 08:28:08 EDT

You can check the booster:
1. Depress the pedal and start engine. If the pedal
goes down slightly, operation is normal.

2. Depress the pedal several times with the engine
running , there should be no change in the pedal
distance.

3. Shut off engine, depress pedal several times. If
the pedal goes down farther the first time but
gradually rises after the second or third depression,
the booster is airtight.

4. Depress pedal while engine is running, then stop
the engine with the pedal depressed. If no change in
the pedal travel after 30 seconds, the booster is
airtight.

That is the procedure in a Haynes manual.

If your rear brakes are out of adjustment, that can
cause your brake pedal to feel strange. On a 7 year
old truck there is a good chance the adjusters are not
working properly. HTH.

Phil