Re: Solid Axle Swap

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 01:14:19 EDT

tom wrote:

> Why dont you just order a ford 9" dana 60 hybrid. Spend a little now,
> but it will last with almost any size tires.

Hmm - I guess I would need to see the stats on the width of that axle.
Like I said I want it as if its a factory solid axle Dak. Function over
form.

And - on a very ironic note... a customer I know came into the store
today and loaded up on mopar parts, filter, oil, ATF4, torqueflite
filter kit, and a few other things... when I asked what was up - I was
told that he had dropped his 2wd 1992 Dak, reg cab long bed... on a 77
PowerWagon chassis................

.... *twitch*

I went over to his shop right from work.

Its not a bad set up at all and it looks pretty awesome if you ask me.
He's still setting it up and as a matter of fact I was there when he
first fired up the engine - a Holley 4bbl, tweaked 360. Hes setting up
the truck for pull competitions. I'm going to sell him some parts off
the 1995 Dakota, so I'll be bringing my camera with me for some shots.

The cab is on the frame just about, and he had to raise the bed on the
frame with a body lift kit and shims to get the bed level. Which makes
me wonder if a chassis swap like that - would leave me with the truck
higher than my goals. Which, his truck sure is higher than what I had
in mind. I would say his body has the same, if not actually more
altitude than Mike Maskalans's solid axle swapped Dakota.

I think he needs to reinforce the body mounts a bit, he had to weld on
brackets, and they are just 90° L stock, no gussets or anything. Then
again if you are truckpulling, you might not care much about the body.

Anyway - I'll have pics by the weekend.

The Zen philosopher Smasho once wrote:
"A truck with no dents, is not a 4x4...
and a 4x4 with no dents wasn't at a DML BBQ"
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine