Re: Damn Ram

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2007 - 11:18:08 EDT

On Aug 8, 2007, at 22:59, Terrible Tom wrote:

> thebearcentral@cox.net wrote:
>
>> In article <f9bbh1$npu$1@bent.twistedbits.net>,
>> SilverEightynine@aol.com
>> (Terrible Tom) writes:
>> just out of the blue I don't know the story how about a
>> distributer pick up? Chris
>
> Yeah - I'm sure that, or the crankshaft sensor - would account for
> that. I've avoided changing them for the moment - as I've been
> trying to track down a guy I know with a scan tool (actual $1300
> scan tool - not a code reader) to see if I can determine what the
> sensors are reading when the engine goes into coniptions.
>
> Just an idea here - but a blown belly pan gasket wouldn't do all of
> this would it? These are some pretty violent misfires and
> backfires when it goes tripy. Hmmm - MAP sensor would do that too...

Just for giggles check your O2 sensor as well.

I had both white wires disconnect on mine and aside from illuminating
a MIL it made the truck run like shit at constant throttle settings.
it would sputter, sometimes stall at idle, either backfire or light
off raw fuel in the catalytic - I'm not sure which. I think a sensor
on it's last legs reporting bad values could potentially do the same
thing.

diagnostic method: unplug it and see if the situation changes.

thoughts?

--
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |