RE: RE: Quad Cabs - Opinions/Advice on Purchase

From: Brian (hskr@san.rr.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2007 - 21:55:55 EDT

I've had two R/Ts with the 5.9L and never once had a tranny problems with a
combined 200K+ miles between the two. Take care of the tranny and don't
neglect/abuse it and it will last forever. My dad had a '97 Ram with the
360/46RE tranny that he towed a 5th wheel trailer with. Everyone told him
after he bought it he would have tranny problems. He owned it for 5 years
and never once had a tranny problem with it. And the normal load on the
trailer was over 10K pounds. The plenum gasket is an easy one time fix to
get past. And the cool thing about both those problems being "infamous" is
there are lots of people who know how to fix them. The 4.7L is still fairly
new(as far as motors go)and not as many people know how to work on them.
Gas mileage is the same between them, and I actually get better gas mileage
in my R/T than my roommate did with his 4.7L Dakota. Parts are more readily
available. And if you ever want to start modding it, it's easier/cheaper to
find parts for the 5.9L. Plus it reacts better to simple mods like intake,
TB, and exhaust changes. But I am a little biased I guess.

brian cropp