Re: Coolant leaking from water pump shaft. A Ticking Timebomb?

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 16:07:27 EDT

Speaking from recent experience.... it will probably start whisteling
soon, leaking more and more every day, especially when hot. Within a
month or two of this, it should progress to a scream loud enough that
it drowns out your engine noise and you'll need to replace a gallon of
coolant every 50 miles. It's not long before it becomes such a hassle,
you'll accumulate more time refilling the lost coolant than you would
have just replacing the dern pump. Also consider the bearing cry may
drive you clinically insane first.

Will it last till the weekend? I'd bet my engine on it. Just keep an
eye on your temp guage. You may be looking for a *drop* in the guage
rather than an unusual rise... but be wary of both.

Don in CT
89 DakVert 318 NV3500 4x4 ('94 powertrain... with a new water pump)
74 Dart Sport 340