RE: Problems With F&B Flometrics TB.....

From: Rick Barnes (rascal@scrtc.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 22:16:16 EDT

That sounds like a bad TPS

Rascal

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of Kyle Kozubal
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 4:47 PM
To: DML
Subject: DML: Problems With F&B Flometrics TB.....

Does anyone else have or has anyone else experienced
problems with a Flometrics TB on their 4.7L V8?

I recently installed a 70MM Flometrics billet TB on my
'04 Dakota. I disconnected the battery prior to
installing the new TB.

I installed it and noticed many things:

1) When holding the TB in my hand, and manually
opening the bore, the throttle strike plate seems to
almost stick on the idle adjustment bolt.

This problem was also tranferred to the vehicle, when
I installed the TB. I have to almost pop down on to
the gas pedal to "un-stick" the striker plate area
where it contacts the ilde adjustment bolt.

Upon further inspection, the idle bolt was not causing
binding. The binding is actually the butterfly binding
on the inside the of bore.

I thought it was binding because the idle screw was
adjusted too far in, and causing the butterfly to
close too far (thus causing the butterfly to close and
stick).

2) The RPMs bounce from 500 RPMs to about 1050. I
assume this issue might be caused because the PCM is
relearning all the specs, since I disconnected the
battery when installing the TB.

I then adjusted the ilde bolt out, so the butterfly
would open up more. This solved the hard throttle
situation in which I have to 'pop' down on the gas
pedal. It now accelerates very, very smoothy.

However, now my idle is very high, about 950 rpms. I
reset the computer and drove it for two days. It was
still idling high, no change.

I then adjusted the idle down bolt down a tad, and the
rpms dropped a bit. However, the rpms are now jumping,
as they initially did.

I also am experiencing an occassional transmission
problem, in which the motors revs up to 1200-1500
rpms, and the truck barely moves. Almost like it is
stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear, when taking off from a dead
stop.

Hopefully I can get all these problems resolved. The
billet TB is beautiful and it a work of art.

Thanks for any and all info.
Kyle

2004 Dakota Quad Cab SLT
4.7L V8, Auto, 4x4, 3.55 Gears
Flowmaster 3" 40 Series Exhaust
Thru-Body Exhaust, K&N FIPK II Intake
Flometrics 70MM Billet TB, NGK Plugs
Jet Chip Stage II Performance Module
Pro Comp 17X8 Series 8089 Wheels
Yoko Geolander AT+II 265/70R17 Tires (siped)
Leer QXL Cap, Rhino Liner, Billet Fuel Door
APC Clear Corners, Class IV Hitch
Vent Visors, Husky Foor Liners
Windows Tinted, Polk Speakers