RE: FSM and water pump removal

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@dodgetrucks.org)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2007 - 23:57:27 EDT

You can use some vise grips to tighten the belt on the pulley (prevents
slipping) but if the belt tensioner is working properly, it has just enough
tension to hold the pulley while you smack it loose. Note: If you don't
have a wrench, you can usea long punch and hammer to loosen the nut on the
fan/water pump.

BTW: My '97 had bolts on the water pump pulley originally...not anymore.
You can also rent a pulley tool from either AutoZone or NAPA that has pins
to hold the pulley while you break the nut free (Lilse makes the tool).

- Bernd