Re: 2000 Dakota 2WD front brakes

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2007 - 19:25:34 EDT

Ned Buckmaster wrote:

> I have a 2K club cab with 89k miles on it. While it was under warranty,
> rotors were replaced twice for warpage. Around 40K, I put on Frozen Rotors
> and solved the warp problem. Around 45K, the passenger caliper stuck and
> toasted the brake pad, so I replaced the caliper and pads. Lately the brakes
> have been feeling mushy, so I ordered some Hawk HPS Performance Brake Pads
> for it. When I installed them, the inboard passenger pad was down to the
> metal and had started into the rotor - the 3 other pads had 3/8" material
> left on them.
>
> The rails the calipers slide on are slightly notched on both sides. The
> passenger side is no worse than the driver's side. I've put high-temp
> anti-seize on them every time I've replaced pads.
>
> Is there something else that can cause just the passenger-side caliper to
> stick? Proportioning valve? Master cylinder?
>
> I also replaced the fluid with Valvoline synthetic, and the brakes feel much
> better, even with the bad rotor on it.
>
> Does anyone made a replacement set of brakes for the front? I have found SSB
> rear replacements, but nothing for the front....
>

> Ned Buckmaster

Did the piston compress into the bore?

I've seen issues where the hose failed internally, and wouldn't let the
brake fluid back out... so the piston wasn't backing off when the brakes
were released.

Others have had issues with brake booster/master cyls - Bob Smith and
Rick Barns can fill you in on that situation.

50 seconds of pleasure, 50 years of regret...
Wookiee Love is pointless - Anarchy Steering Committee
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine