Re: Parting out 1989 4x4 convertible

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2007 - 19:27:26 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> sneezer@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
>>I hate to see it go, it had potential and was a convertible. Unfortunately I
>>will not have the time or money to see it to the end, and the recent discovery
>>on the tranny pretty much nailed the coffin shut.
>

> I might be off base here, I tend to get kinda weird when it comes
> to cars, but wouldn't it have been better to just sell the thing as a
> Dakota Convertible project? I mean, after you strip all those parts
> off, they're just plain ol' Dakota parts, with the exception of the
> handful of convertible specific pieces. It also greatly devalues the
> remainder of the truck - why would somebody want to start with a
> completely stripped chassis and have to hunt down a mess of parts when
> they could have purchased a complete truck? Your anaolgy of putting a
> nail in the coffin is a good one; it may have had a chance to come
> back to life before, but (barring some extrordinary circumstances)
> stripping it down like this has guaranteed that it's only future now
> is as scrap metal.
>
> I know that the convertibles aren't particularly valuable yet, and
> actually, every one that dissapears like this will make mine worth
> just a little bit more, but still, its sad to see a vehicle come to
> such an end, especially a rare one. Sorry if any of the above sounds
> harsh, I don't mean to come across that way, its your truck and you
> are welcome to do whatever you want with it, the above were just my
> immediate thoughts when I read your message. I guess the root of my
> feelings are that after all of the careless scrapping and crushing
> that has gone on over the decades, its just somewhat disheartening to
> see that we have not yet learned from our past mistakes.

heh - I agree with what Jon said.

Ya should have let us know you didn't want the truck - I'm sure we could
have found it a home! And certainly the tranny issue wouldn't be the
end of it all? So it had an AX15 - so what?

50 seconds of pleasure, 50 years of regret...
Wookiee Love is pointless - Anarchy Steering Committee
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine