Re: 2001 4WD - Ok to remove the front driveshaft?

From: SilverEightynine@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 02:56:22 EDT

In article <9A82200A-85C1-4CD3-936D-0053B5A1A14B@tepidcola.com>,
dml@tepidcola.com (Michael Maskalans) writes:

> On Sep 15, 2007, at 22:01, David Gersic wrote:
>

> > The CV on the front driveshaft needs to be rebuilt on my '01. I
> > have no
> > problem removing it, but once it's out is it still ok to drive the
> > truck?
> >
> No issue whatsoever running with the front shaft removed.

WHAT?!? Dude - yer friggin wheel came off!! So did mine!

Do you remember what events lead up to you doing a solid axle swap!?

Far be it for me to contradict Mr. Maskalans... but...

I took my truck around the block ONCE with the axles removed while I was
testing a transmission - pulled into the driveway and didn't make it into the
garage. Drivers side front wheel cocked at a very unhappy angle - I had to
jack the truck up and pound the wheel back in place with a sledge hammer - then
drove it the last 10 feet into the garage.

Mike had a driveline vibration he solved by pulling the front drivers axle
shaft - shortly after his wheel came off and tore up the front suspension -
leading to him junking it for a solid axle conversion.

Now... it just seems to me that the spindle nut and the outer axle shaft -
bolted together seem to help keep that unit bearing together and make the
wheels stay on the truck.

Two people with the same thing happening with the same side axle shaft out...
seems to tell me...

DO NOT DRIVE WITH THE CV AXLES OUT!

Terrible Tom