Re: Network/Server

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 01:14:27 EDT

Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com> wrote:
> NAS is just hanging extra drive space off your existing network, and
> making accessable to all in a minimalist fashion.

> A complete new PC can provide that functionality, plus the media center
> functionality as well.

   Yep, it seems like since you're planning to buy a PC for the media
anyway, you could just cram that one full of drives to act as the
file/backup server as well. Although that NAS link that someone
posted which was 1TB for $300 or so seems awfully hard to beat; I'm
not even sure how they can do that for so cheap? Either I'm missing
something, or hard drive prices have come WAY down since the last time
I checked. (Which *was* about a year ago, now that I think about
it...)

> You can buy one box or two, but if you want to play movies from NAS you
> might not be happy with the performance.

   I don't know if my own experience here applies or not, but I have a
DVD recorder out in the shop which I have set to record a few shows
(Simpsons, Red Green, etc.). I have it record to a DVD-RW, and every
day or so, I pop the disc into my "main" PC and burn the ISO to disk.
I then watch the shows up in the house on my laptop by mounting the
ISO over the network. The link between the house and the shop is only
10Mbit, and I've never had a problem with it, even though I'm mounting
an entire DVD which is anywhere between 1 and 4 gigs, depending on the
number of shows that have been recorded on it. The cable modem is up
in the house and all of the servers are out in the shop, so all of the
network traffic is shared over that same 10Mbit link as well. I also
can play DivX movies over the network without any problem. Granted, I
haven't tried to mount an ISO for a full Hollywood type movie, which
may be different. I just wanted to share my experience. I've been
fine even at 10Mbit, so it seems like 100Mbit should be plenty?

--
                                          -Jon-