Re: 2001 4WD - Ok to remove the front driveshaft?

From: WiLieR[SS] (waffle787@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2007 - 12:20:34 EDT

That is considered a cv joint front driveshaft. I would rather use
the dbl cardan joint since the failure rate for them is much lower
than the cv style shaft. Yes, it requires swapping yokes on the
t-case, but it is well worth it. The double cardan shaft proved
worthwhile enough that 99-03 Grand Cherokees used the cv style front
shaft but in 04 they swapped it to the double cardan style for more
reliability. The 04 style shaft is also highly sought after when it
comes time to replace the cv style shaft. More strength, longer life,
easily rebuilt and better performance especially on lifted vehicles.

I would either find one in a salvage yard from a later model and grab
the yoke as well or have a shop build one for you and send the correct
yoke with it.

WiLieR