Re: 2001 4WD - Ok to remove the front driveshaft?

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2007 - 11:35:19 EDT

On Sunday 23 September 2007 11:20 am, WiLieR[SS] wrote:
> That is considered a cv joint front driveshaft. I would rather use
> the dbl cardan joint since the failure rate for them is much lower
> than the cv style shaft. Yes, it requires swapping yokes on the
> t-case, but it is well worth it.

Well, Rockford seems to agree that the CV design wasn't such a good idea. I
picked up my new shaft yesterday:

        http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/im005197.jpg

and it's got normal U joints at both ends (greasable), and a greasable slip
joint in the middle. The transfer case end has a mounting flange on it that
fits where the CV used to be, so it's a bolt in replacement.

> The double cardan shaft proved
> worthwhile enough that 99-03 Grand Cherokees used the cv style front
> shaft

Well, if you have a 99-03 Grand Cherokee, or whatever other years of the Dak
that used the CV based shaft, for $260 or so you can bolt in a replacment
sans CV. No need to swap the output shaft on the transfer case.