Re: RE: Re: Vacuum 101

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2007 - 17:40:17 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>Refresh my memory here... the higher the number value that the MAP
>>reports - the more vacuum? And the lower the value - the closer the
>>manifold is to external air pressure levels? (meaning less negative vacuum)
>

>>Right?
>

> Its the opposite - the higher the number reported by the MAP, the
> less the vacuum. Remember, the MAP is a pressure sensor and is
> reading pressure. The higher the number, the higher the pressure.
> The vacuum will be inversely proportional to the pressure, so the
> higher the MAP reading, the lower the vacuum (i.e. the vacuum is
> moving towards zero), and the lower the MAP reading, the higher the
> vacuum (the vacuum is moving away from zero).
>
> This is why, when the engine isn't running, the MAP will report
> something like 29"; that is the barometric pressure. When the engine
> starts and a vacuum is created inside the intake manifold, the MAP
> reading goes down because the engine vacuum is offsetting some of the
> ambient barometric pressure.

<Joilet Jake> I SEEE THE LIIIIGHT!!!!! </Joilet Jake>

Ok then... for the sake of sanity here - lets define some terms...

"less vacuum" = meaning higher actual barometric PRESSURE - less suction
  effect - leaf blower stuff!!

"more vacuum" = lower actual barometric pressure - negative pressure -
suction!! Hoover vac on high stuff!!

as wild as this seems - I see what Bernd is getting to... my MAP sensor
is reporting MORE vacuum on *acceleration* under some circumstances...
but not all - most of the time it looks like the MAP is reporting
correctly it seems.

This is what you (Bernd) are saying happens with a clogged CAT?

Very friggin weird...

50 seconds of pleasure, 50 years of regret...
Wookiee Love is pointless - Anarchy Steering Committee
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine