Re: Vacuum 101

From: Eric Hufstedler (huffy340@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2007 - 18:12:06 EDT

> Grab your favorite 16oz water bottle. Poke a small hole on the
> base and then start sucking the air out of it. You can create a
> vacuum in it but the hole in the base will keep it at a certain
> level. (The base is basically working like your exhaust). Now,
> plug the hole and continue sucking the air out of the bottle -
> you'll continue to raise the vacuum level inside the
> bottle...eventually collapsing the bottle. Same thing in an
> engine with a plugged cat (not that extreme though).

If we are going to use a bottle analogy instead of the engine
itself, then the hole in the bottle is the throttle body.

Assuming you are sucking the air out of the bottle with your
mouth and exhaling through your nose:

The bottle is the intake manifold.

The your throat valve are the intake valves.

Your lungs/diaphragm are the pistons.

Your nose would be the exhaust pipe/cat.

So, to plug the cat, you need to plug your nose, not the hole in
the bottle.

Plugging the hole in the bottle would be like letting off the
accelerator pedal.

Eric