Re: So just who WILL be @ Daktoberfest?

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2007 - 22:52:37 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
>

>>Don Rey wrote:
>>
>>>I have an older GPS unit... do you have a newer one w/ (crap forgot
>>>the terminology) that newfangled higher resolution better
>>>"between-buildings" and "under trees" reception? (been a while since
>>>I've looked at GPS stuff... dern house takes all my time)
>

>>Nope, I have a Garmin eMap, which they discontinued about 5 years ago.
>>It works great for me. I did buy an external antenna for it that sticks
>>magnetically to the roof, that seems to help out quite a bit in the trees.
>

> The last sort've improvement technology that I know of was WAAS,
> I'm not sure if that is what Don is referring to or not. Its been a
> while since I have looked at GPS units though, so there might be
> something that has come out since then. I've had my GPS for around 4
> years now, and it is WAAS enabled. (I'm not sure what WAAS is or what
> it stands for and I am too busy to go look it up at the moment, but
> there's always Google for that in case anyone is curious.) :-)

The Next "improvement is the SiRF III chipset, which seems to make a
world of difference. I have 3 gps's now, my Magellan, the USB [pharos]
that comes with map-point, and a Pro-gin SGM-207 which is also USB. The
Pro-gin is by far the fastest and most accurate of the three, when used
side by side....