RE: RE: Re: Vacuum 101

From: Steve Preston (steveophonic@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2007 - 20:48:07 EDT

Not too late to join in though,Phil. Especially this
thread!

My readings were taken at idle. I thought the MAP was
bad after getting these two "opposing" readings. Found
out that a 3.9L Dak uses the same MAP sensor as an
4.0L Jeep G.C.,and so I thought I found an easy way to
finally get the truck figured out without wasting
$90.00. What happened was I found yet another part
that isn't causing a problem,which is just tremendous.

Thanks!

Steve P.

--- Phil Jenkins <bugnik@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sorry if I'm late to this.
> Were your readings taken at idle? If so they are
> inline with mine.
> With key on, engine off, MAP reading is 29.
> At idle MAP reading is 10. Vacuum gauge is 19.
> The MAP sensor and vacuum gauge should not have the
> same reading. HTH
>
> Phil
>

> --- Steve Preston <steveophonic@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > This helps me a little bit. But it creates a new
> > question in my mind: should a person have the same
> > reading from their MAP sensor via scanner that
> they
> > would have from a vacuum gauge? Because I,in
> > fact,did
> > not get the same readings. The scanner said 10 in
> > HG,and my gauge said about 19. But your
> subtraction
> > that you came up with is making me wonder whether
> > there should be a disparity?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Steve P.
> > --- Phil Jenkins <bugnik@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Ok, I hook up my scanner with engine off. I have
> > 29"
> > > of barometric pressure from MAP sensor. Start
> > truck,
> > > at idle I have about 11" showing on the scanner.
> > > 29-11=18" of vacuum. I plug the exhaust and have
> > 20"
> > > on the scanner. 29-20=9" of vacuum. Less vacuum
> > with
> > > exhaust plugged, higher reading on scanner. Does
> > > that
> > > sound right? (Pouring some gasoline on the
> fire.)
> > >
> > > Phil
> > >

> > > --- "Bernd D. Ratsch" <bernd@dodgetrucks.org>

> we're