Re: RE: Re: WTB: Starter

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 18:37:39 EDT

"Bernd D. Ratsch" <bernd@dodgetrucks.org> wrote:

> The updated starters also come with a new terminal. Hint: Mopar
> Performance starter is the same thing as the OEM Mopar but almost $100 less.

> :) I've seen quite a few remans fail after a few months though - out
> starters are factory high-torque starters so the windings need to be almost
> perfect or they fail prematurely.

> I'll check at the dealership if we have any take-off starters that are good.

   Yep, that trick came in handy when I chucked the 20lb starter on my
Cuda in favor of a mini starter. A lot of guys say to just get a late
model application from a parts store, but I discovered the MP starter
was considerably less, and Mancini Racing has a starter which is even
cheaper than that, about $120 (before shipping), which is what I ended
up going with for the Cuda. I could do that again I suppose, or there
are units on eBay which are supposed to be new, not rebuilt which can
be had for around $70 including the shipping, so I might try that
route. Figured I'd check here first though and see if I could get a
good used unit for even cheaper.

--
                                          -Jon-