94 Dak 5.2L Cat Converter Air Pump or Air Switch Valve?

From: rws (rwsam2002@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 14:21:01 EDT

Hi,

I took the '94 Dak 4x4AT 5.2L @ 162k mi. in for the CA Smog Test and it
failed the 25mph test HC Passing is 50 and the Dak got 51, so it failed
by one.

Cat converter (Magnaflow P/N 94006) was replaced Aug 2004.

O2 sensor, ECT coolant sensor recent replaced, Ign. Coil, TPS replaced
2 years ago.

Magnaflow tech said to test Cat by Temp differential front and back of
the Cat and it should be 50-100oF difference. Temp will be around
400-600oF, so I need to find a temp gage for that range and need to
find.

But in the meantime I am suspecting the Air Pump or the Air Switch
Valve.

How do I test Air Pump and Air Switch Valve components to make sure
air injection system is operating correctly? What is vacuum
measurement at the Air Switch Valve?

Also I am wondering if it is not getting proper air injection will that
alter the temperature difference test on the CAT?

ref:
15 mph test HC 85 MAX 18AVG 85MEAS NOx 491MAX 149AVG 432MEAS %O2 0.1
25 mph test HC 50 MAX 12AVG 51MEAS NOx 744MAX 144AVG 296MEAS %O2 0.2

Please need help soon.

Ron

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.