Re: 94 Dak 5.2L Cat Converter Air Pump or Air Switch Valve?

From: rws (rwsam2002@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 17:36:59 EDT

Biff,

Oil and filter was changed. Using oil branded for "older" vehicles. I
think they put some copper in the oil to keep it running quieter, but
need to verify.

New O2S.
New ECT sensor.

Used Chevron's injector cleaner just prior to test, about a month ago.
a BMW dealer says its the best they found to keep injectors running
clean not dripping and remove the built up carbon on pistons and
valves.

PCV valve cleaned and checked and I can hear it making noise with
engine running. Shop manual says this is a good sign.

The EGR valve was replace 2-3 yrs or 11-15k miles ago. Maybe low oct.
fuel can make it dirty again? I don't know. I tried to clean the EGR
with solvents befor getting a new one. They are hard to clean so that
they shut completly and smoothly, that's why I just got a new one. How
long should they last?

If I give up and take it to a CA certified smog mechanic, what will he
do?

Anyone here in California? Have you noticed the smog test criteria for
the three elements gets lower the older the vehicle is?

Ron

-----------------------------
Re: 94 Dak 5.2L Cat Converter Air Pump or Air Switch Valve?
From: Biff Byrum (bbyrum9@foothill.net)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 16:54:30 EDT

Yeah, I had about the same results. Just passed by one. It's said that
leaky
injectors and the O2S are the leading causes of HC failure.

Excess carbon buildup in the chambers can cause this reading. Someone
sugested B-12 Total Combustion Chamber Cleaner. Also suggested was
changing
the oil so the new oil can absorb more HC. Remember that you do have
that
silly, prone to fail EGR on that engine. Also, new PCV valve? Biff