Re: 94 Dak 5.2L Cat Converter Air Pump or Air Switch Valve?

From: rws (rwsam2002@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 17:16:59 EDT

Thanks Don,

Good thing I looked in the bulk mail and found your email.

I go to the same smog shop, they know me and the truck as it failed
before the Cat was replaced then got down to 1ppm of HC when I replaced
the Cat! But that was three years ago and ~ 15k mi. It's in CA where
we have weird smog test and laws or at lease different from other 49
states.

Do you know about "Test-Only" smog test?

The truck was driven for about 45 mins all over town but not at
freeways speeds (which I wished I did). I went to a 'Gold Shield' Smog
shop. I got a misquote on the price over the phone and the owner was
acting outlandish so I took my biz elsewhare - back to the shop where I
had taken it before and there was no wait and the tech did run the
engine for a long time to get the temp up. He left it running on the
dyno when we went outside to see the police chase down ths guy who ran
into a house instead of the alley next to it, kiled three people in the
house. hint - don't buy a house next to an alley.

According to my Haynes and Chilton's shop manual it has a air pump and
air switch valve for V-8s of this year. And if it doesn't, how does
it get injected air into the CAT to catylize the unburnt fuel?

I just looked and Your are right, there isn't any Air Pump. So How
does it get Air Injection into the Cat?

The smog tech seems to think that because magnaflow makes a smaller Cat
it wears out quicker, well maybe but in 15k miles? Still got to do a
Temp diff. test and manifold Vac test to see if exhaust is clogged.

With gas prices going higher I'm using 87 octane gas instead of
midgrade or 89/91 octane. It might be adding to the HC as well.

I do know that there are more lousy shops for smog test or repair than
good ones. I think that's why they started the Gold Shield program in
CA. It's also the reason I work on the truck myself. Can't tell you
how many times I took it to a mechanic or the dealer and got sloppy
work.

Ron in Kali