Re: (OT) 2003 Caravan payload?

From: andylevy@yahoo.com
Date: Fri Oct 05 2007 - 16:21:14 EDT

In article <fe5kq5$ocq$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> andylevy@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Anyone know how much we can safely load into the back of our Caravan? Our
brick
> > sidewalk project this weekend is a go, but Lowe's says we can't load them
into
> > the van. We're looking at somewhere between 1100 and 1400 pounds of brick.
>
> > Days like this I really, really miss my '99.
>

> You would be fine with that weight; you should see some of the
> stuff my Dad has loaded into his minivans; many a bumpstop has gotten
> a good workout over the years. ;-) The Caravan is a 6-7 person
> vehicle, so assuming the worst of 1400lbs, that would be 6 230lb
> passengers or 7 200lb passengers, if its only 1100lbs, thats 6 180
> pounders or 7 160 pounders; well within the design capabilities of the
> vehicle. I would remove the seats and spread the load over the entire
> cargo area, rather than putting it all at the very back of course.
>
> You could also find your empty weight and subtract it from the GVWR
> on your door sticker. I did a quick net search and found a GVWR of
> 5400lbs and a curb weight of 4000lbs, which gives you 1400lbs right
> there.

I did some more math, and I don't think it's gonna happen.

The pavers are about 1200 pounds. It'll be pushing it, but if I remove all the
seats and load evenly, I'd be OK. Borderline, but manageable.

The stone that needs to go underneath the pavers, however, will come in around
2 tons - I'm figuring 21 cubic feet, 42 bags, at 50+ pounds each.

Either 2 trips, or I rent something, or I have them deliver. Going to ask about
delivery - if they can't get to it before noon, not a problem, we have plenty
of excavation to do first (about 1.2 cubic yards worth).

Or you could loan me your 3500 :)