18mpg

From: Pindell, Tim P (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2007 - 16:10:48 EDT

I got my fuel receipts out for a trip we took to Deepest Redneckistan a
few weeks ago. We went to visit some of Deb's family just outside of
Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, NC (Go Cats!) My
brother-in-law and his wife are professors in the music department.
Absolutely beautiful country down there in the Smoky Mountains. I miss
Bermuda grass lawns! Anyhoo, we boarded the pups at a friends place and
took the new-to-us Ram just to see what kind of road manners the beast
had and to try out the nav system. It rides rather stiffly, and I think
I could tell if a dime were heads or tails if I were to run over one. It
also has a tendency to wander all over the place if you're not paying
attention. I have to wonder if the steering ratio is a bit quicker than
I'm used to or if the wide tires were simply trying to follow the ruts.
I'm leaning towards the former. We got a best fuel "economy" of 18mpg
out of that monster. Considering that the best I got out of the Dakota
5.2 was 22mpg, I was very surprised at the 18mpg out of the 8.3, but
then again, 6th gear is ridiculously tall- 1500rpm at 75mph! I think
its a keeper despite an average fuel consumption of about 12mpg...on a
diet of premium. Perhaps I should measure it in "grins per mile". Just
thought I'd share.

Tim