Re: RE: Factory Engine, Run - In Procedure, Gasoline & Diesel

From: Craig Faison (cfaison@magpage.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2007 - 13:27:44 EDT

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Bernd D. Ratsch wrote:

> The engines are bench tested (oil pressure and flow) and then installed into
> the vehicle. After installation and vehicle build, they are run at the
> factory for about 1 mile. Then, they arrive at teh dealership where we
> check them over and drive them for another 5-10 miles.

A guy I used to know worked at the Chrysler plant in Newark, DE for years
(probably still does). He has worked loading new cars on trains and he's
worked moving new cars from the end of the assembly line to parking areas
while they were waiting for transport. He told countless stories of
abusing brand new cars - WFO in neutral for extended periods, manaul trans
cars in 5th gear then WFO and dump the clutch from a standstill, neutral
drops in automatic cars, etc... According to him, everyone he worked with
did the same thing.

He crashed more than one new car, and even totalled one. That one got him
fired, but the union somehow managed to get him his job back.

Makes you feel good about spending your money on a new car, doesn't it?

Craig