95 dakota 4x4 ball joint notes

From: David Margrave (david.margrave@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2007 - 01:31:52 EDT

I replaced one of the upper ball joints on sunday, and didn't get to
the other before I had to call it a day. I'll get the other one
later.

It went okay. I bought both the special tools (giant socket and
machinist's jack-style ball joint separator). IT was surprisingly
easy to get the ball stud to let go. The ball joint was not threaded
in all that tight, nor was the spindle nut that tight. I mean I
thought I was going to be out there cursing and standing on the
breaker bar, but it was nothing like that. I wonder if it worked its
way loose overtime or was never torqued to spec to begin with.