Oil viscosity and high volume oil pumps

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2007 - 19:19:29 EDT

Here's one for The List... if you are running a higher volume/pressure
oil pump - can you then run a thinner oil? Say 5w30 or straight 30
weight - if your engine originally called for 10w30?

I put a high volume melling oil pump in the 318 in Christine, and
noticed higher oil pressures - which is pretty much what I was shooting
for, because the stock oil pump pressure at idle and hot engine
conditions, always made me nervous. There were times when I would see
the oil pressure just at the low end of the normal range.

Any adverse affects of having too much oil pressure - besides the
obvious spinning of engine load bearings?

However using a thinner oil will help - in theory, the fuel economy, due
to less internal parasitic energy loss.

50 seconds of pleasure, 50 years of regret...
Wookiee Love is pointless - Anarchy Steering Committee
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine