Is NOTHING made well anymore? (rant)

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2007 - 01:20:13 EST

I just spent an hour and a half installing a new fluorescent lamp unit
down in my basement. The 4 lamps down there are old - kinda cheap units
- with yellowed and cracked covers. So rather than putz with old lamps I
went to Lowes tonight and bought 4 new replacements and a new bulk box
of T40 tubes - no I did not want to pop for the added expense for T8
fixtures and tubes.

Curse at the former owner of the house for not marking in the breaker
panel what breakers power what circuits. Stand there flicking breakers
on and off till I find the ones I want and get cursed at by the people
above me because I'm fucking around with all the lights in the house...
Slice up my hands fighting with the thin sheet metal housings, swear,
drop screws, curse, yell at the cat under my feet, spew vulgarities at
the cordless drill that decided it didn't want to be charged anymore
when I was in the middle of using it.

Finally get the damned thing wired up - turn power back on - flip the
switch - all the tubes do is flicker as if the thing has a bad
ballast!!! I swapped those tubes into one of the old fixtures still up
- and they light up just fine.

-----insert loud vulgar rant of your favorite swear words here-----

I swapped out all the old tubes for new ones that were meant for the new
fixtured... and its nice and bright down there again. All the new lamps
are going back to Lowes and I'm just sticking with the new tubes. Save
myself $100 that way.

You can't get quality anything any more!! Interesting now that I think
about it - the fixture at the store display in the isle was flickering
just like mine did. That should have been a red flag.

Going to sleep...

TerribleTom - AIM & Yahoo: silvereightynine
   http://www.myspace.com/silvereightynine
     http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine