Re: 10W30 in the Neon?

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2007 - 19:52:58 EST

Terrible Tom wrote:

> I've always been running 5w30 in the neon - but I have a LOT of 10w30
> conventional engine oil I've picked up on discounts over the years and I
> was wondering if it would be alright to use it. I use synthetic in the
> Ram and I don't plan on going back to conventional. I don't think it
> will do any harm myself, honestly. The engine is a little noisey with
> higher miles (around 100K) I usually use lucas anyway which tends to
> thicken up the oil.
>
> Barry, I know you use a higher weight 5w40 in your Dak - and you never
> seem to have had any engine problems.
>

> Opinions?

Tom, I have used M1 15w50 and Rotella 15w40 on long trips and in the
summer. Wintertime is M1 10w30/40 or Rotella 5w40. The 5w40 tests as
better oil than the 10w30/40 but not as good as the 15w50. Up there in
the great white north, you should be good with 10w30. I would only run
5w30 when it was butt cold, and the 10w30 the rest of the time..