Re: RE: Cooling system problem

From: rws (rwsam2002@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 14:32:59 EST

Bernd,
I looked at the radiator cap and it seems the rubber is worn or grooved
but not cracked or torn. I got a new one and am testing it. I think
this is the solution! Thanks.

As far as using or not using Bars Leak I was told that brand new Dodge
trucks get a concentrated version of this in all their trucks.

The radiator was replaced about 4-5 years ago, but the heater core is
original from 1994 ('92 was in error). I don't want to have a problem
with leaks (now that its 13 years old) so that is why I used it. I
also replaced the T-stat and W/P. Also installed a Prestone flush port
so I don't need to use chemicals to clean out the cooling system.

Here is the link on the product:
http://www.barsproducts.com/PLT11.htm

If there are any factual reasons for not using the Bars leak to prevent
problems, I'd like to hear them.

As far as I know it does not clog anything, does lubricate and is
compatible with all types of Antifreeze which I did use also.

Thanks,

socalrws

--- hskr@cox.net wrote:

> Why did you use the Bars Leak stuff?? It's not meant as a
> preventative, but a bandaid for an existing problem. Could have
> clogged who knows what. I'd flush the system again and start from
> scratch. When you fill it back up, leave the radiator cap off and
> start the truck. Wait until the thermostat opens and the coolant
> starts flowing through the upper radiator hose. With the truck still
> running, top off the coolant until it stops bubbling out air, then
> put the cap back on. Make sure the overflow is filled too the "full
> hot" level and you should be good.

RE: Cooling system problem
From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@dodgetrucks.org)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2007 - 16:27:37 EST

I wouldn't have used the "Cooling system plug-up" fluid anyway. Doesn't
sound like an air pocket though...check your radiator cap and see if
it's
actually holding pressure.

The fluid being 1-2" low makes sense if it's blowing it out the
overflow and
the radiator cap isn't holding the pressure.

- Bernd