Axles strength

From: Azie L. Magnusson (maggie11@mchsi.com)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2007 - 10:52:00 EST

Aaron W. writes: >>My question is: How strong are the
axles in the 7.25 rear?? <<

Vehicles I've owned with the 7.25 are listed below.
My experience is with the '87 Diplomat with 318 and my '79
Aspen R/T with 318 and an '89 Dak with 3.9L.. No axle
problems ever... Now spiders and spools are a different
matter.. I've riped all 3 apart @ different times with what
I consider to be relatively low mileage. The '79 Aspen R/T
came apart @ less than 50K miles. The '87 diplomat came
apart @ just over 50K miles. The '89 Dak with the 3.9L(and
a very weak 3.9L in my opinion) came apart @ just under
40K miles. None of the above vehicles were severly
mistreated.. My opinion of the 7.25 rear is that it wouldn't
hold up in a good lawnmower. Should have never been put
in a road worthy vehicle. The axles are the same size as
those in the 8.25 I believe. May be wrong. IMO the
axles are much stronger than the center section.

"One of the hardest things in life to learn is
which bridge to cross and which bridge to burn"

Azie