Re: Trouble Code P0138

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2007 - 21:57:31 EST

On Monday 19 November 2007 05:53 pm, Kurt Cypher wrote:
> "Oxygen Sensor Circuit /Heater High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)"

What year and engine? I don't have my notes handy, but that should be the
driver side lower one, if I recall correctly (Bank 1 = Driver, Bank 2 =
Passenger, Sensor 1 = Upper, Sensor 2 = Lower).

> Any suggestions on anything else to check with this code? Also, if
> it comes down to replacing it, how difficult is it to replace this

I just did all four on my 2001 4x4 V6. The lower two aren't hard, but the
upper two are kind of a pain. The sensors themselves aren't bad, it's the
&$*@^#! wiring harness connectors. The upper ones seem to require quadruple
jointed and very thin hands to reach. There's a slide-lock you have to slide
back, then you push in the top of the connector to release it and pull it
free.

I didn't get the special socket you're supposed to use, I just used a 22mm
combo wrench that I had previously bought for something else. No problems
getting this on all four of them.

I used Bosche universal sensors. I think Bosche also has an OE style. If they
do, get the OE style so you don't have to monkey with splicing the wiring
harness, or worry about breaking the slide-lock things on the connectors.