RE: Dana Trac-Lok or Auburn posi

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 18:57:30 EST

For your power level and frequency of track use, either will be fine. Mopar
has used both clutch and cone type differentials over the years. OE for
your truck was a clutch type.

The Auburn is a cone type. You CANNOT use synthetic lube with them. You
MUST use a friction modifier. They are NOT rebuildable. But they work
fine for limited track exposure. For your 8.25 only their Performance
series is available.

The Trac-Lok is a clutch type. You CAN use synthetic lube and many brands
come with friction modifier already in them. It IS rebuildable.

> And please help me understand what makes one better than the other in
> terms of track performance.

It's sort of a wash. For track ONLY you can't beat a spool but those
shouldn't be used on the street.

When ordering a diff, be aware your '92 8.25 rear uses 27 spline axles.
They changed to 29 splines in '97.

Ray