Re: Are SUVs going away?

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2007 - 16:33:51 EST

On Tue, December 18, 2007 3:10 pm, Dan Kramarsky said:

> I read this article in CNN today.

Keep in mind that CNN isn't exactly what you'd call an impartial source.

That said, I do think that the SUV fad is over. It's been happening slowly
for years now. They're no longer trendy like they were for a while, and we'll
be going back to where things were before SUVs exploded on to the scene.
Which means, people who need the capacity will buy trucks and truck-based
vehicles, and people who only need to carry kids will be more likely to get
vehicles more suited to that task. SUVs and trucks won't disappear
completely, but I don't think they're going to be anywhere nearly as popular
as they were for a few years there.

The rising popularity of small wagons and so-called "crossovers" is the
backlash against SUVs by people who don't want their neighbors to think
they're not environmentally friendly. It's more about image than anything.
Not long ago these same vehicles would have been called light SUVs, now they
just round the corners off a little to make them look more car-like and call
them CUVs because SUVs are no longer politically correct. Same vehicle,
different name, different image. Light SUVs based on car designs were never
serious off-road or towing machines anyway.