Re: Are SUVs going away?

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2007 - 00:05:42 EST

On Tue, December 18, 2007 3:33 pm, Jason Bleazard wrote:

> On Tue, December 18, 2007 3:10 pm, Dan Kramarsky said:
>>
>> I read this article in CNN today.
>
> Keep in mind that CNN isn't exactly what you'd call an impartial source.
>
> That said, I do think that the SUV fad is over. It's been happening slowly
> for years now. They're no longer trendy like they were for a while, and
> we'll
> be going back to where things were before SUVs exploded on to the scene.
> Which means, people who need the capacity will buy trucks and truck-based
> vehicles, and people who only need to carry kids will be more likely to get
> vehicles more suited to that task. SUVs and trucks won't disappear
> completely, but I don't think they're going to be anywhere nearly as popular
> as they were for a few years there.
>
> The rising popularity of small wagons and so-called "crossovers" is the
> backlash against SUVs by people who don't want their neighbors to think
> they're not environmentally friendly. It's more about image than anything.
> Not long ago these same vehicles would have been called light SUVs, now they
> just round the corners off a little to make them look more car-like and call
> them CUVs because SUVs are no longer politically correct. Same vehicle,
> different name, different image. Light SUVs based on car designs were never
> serious off-road or towing machines anyway.

Not to mention that the CAFE standards were raised not too long ago.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.