Re: Are SUVs going away?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Dec 21 2007 - 00:23:07 EST

"Josh Battles" <josh.lists@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
[...]

> Not to mention that the CAFE standards were raised not too long ago.

  Yep, that was in the recent energy bill, I think? I don't remember
where I read this, but I saw part of an interview with Bob Lutz; he
was being asked if technologies such as direct injection, etc. will
enable the automakers to meet the new standards. I believe the direct
quote from Lutz was "That crap is all used up!", he went on to say
that from here on out, every little improvement is going to cost big
bucks.

  So, until the day that Washington realizes that they can't legislate
physics (don't hold your breath), its probably a safe bet that the
cars are going to start shrinking. On the plus side, I think our
Daks' resale value just went up. ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-