Re: RE: Re: Repair costs.

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2007 - 22:17:08 EST

Brian wrote:

> Front wheel ABS
> only adds an extra electrical connecter to have to undo and the hub is
> slightly more expensive.
>
> brian cropp

ABS adds more to the cost than you might think. The difference,
depending on the unit hub, can be more than $100. I prepare myself every
time I have to sell a unit hub to a customer, because I always expect
and 99 percent of the time, get, a shocked look sometimes followed by
anger - due to the cost of the hubs.

Also remember that shops typically charge list prices for parts. Keep in
mind that if you are paying someone else to do repairs for you, you are
going to pay more for parts than if you bought them yourself. Its just
the way it is.

Be glad you dont have a 1998+ Ford Superduty 4x4 with 4 wheel ABS.
Those hub units sell for over $400 retail EACH - shop list on those
bastards would be murder.

Unless you have something like a Grand Am or a Cavalier, where there
were 5.9 trillion cars made over the life of the model, and repalacement
parts are a dime a dozen - you won't find many hubs for under $100. And
at that price level they are usually economy hubs with 90 day or at most
1 year warranty. Industry standard warranty seems to be 90 day for
cheap and 1 year for high line.

As for fuel pumps - same situation. I friggin dread the day I have to
change a fuel pump on one of my newer vehicals. Those Chevy/GMC truck
OEM fuel pumps are crap if you ask me. I sell more GM truck fuel pumps
than any others. And they are mostly the 99+newer models with the
4.8/5.3 engines. Again a situation where its a one peice sending unit
module that you can't change the pump out on seperatly. And the cost is
up there on them.

An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations!
Repo man spends his life gettin' IN tense situations!!!
TerribleTom - AIM & Yahoo: silvereightynine
http://www.myspace.com/silvereightynine
http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine