Re: Brake line failure rant

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2007 - 22:06:21 EST

Don Rey wrote:
> Driving to the dump today with a bed full of cast iron drain pipes, my
> brakes dropped to about 10% effectiveness over a 3 minute period
> (never had brakes go that bad that quickly). BTW I don't have a
> working e-brake either. Thank God for stickshift.

Ebrake? whats that?

> So why'd they leak so fast? Not one but BOTH lines into the
> proportioning valve failed. At the same time. What are the odds? For
> 18 years they've worked just fine... why would both fail at the same
> time?

because they are 18 years old and on a truck in the Salt Belt.

Bed of cast iron drain pipes = more load = more weight = harder to stop
= good tiem for brakes to fail ... thats why :)

> And did you know they're not standard tube nuts into the
> proportioning valve (or the ma/cyl for that matter)? Who thinks up
> this crap!? So TWO separate trips to autozone (p.s. they don't carry
> non-standard tube nuts) AND napa, and I think I finally have the right
> ones. I gave up when I replaced the first line and found out about the
> second break because I got frustrated. The second old tube nut won't
> unthread.

Replaced all the brake lines on Christine hehe - found that out myself!
  What a friggin nightmare! Glad you didn't have an accident man!

An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations!
Repo man spends his life gettin' IN tense situations!!!
TerribleTom - AIM & Yahoo: silvereightynine
http://www.myspace.com/silvereightynine
http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine