Re: Brake line failure rant

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2007 - 01:45:01 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Hehehe! Its almost like deja vu! :-) I had a similar experience
> a little while back with my '92 Ram, except I was going down a hill,
> touched the pedal and it went all the way to the floor. My parking
> brake is rusted solid in that vehicle too, and its an automatic.
> Fortunately I rolled up another small hill, dropped down into some
> lower gears and as I crested the hill, was able to put it in neutral
> and drop it into 4lo then back into gear. It was working perfectly
> until some idiot pulled out and stopped right in front of me! Had to
> put it in reverse and fortunately got it stopped with about 2 feet to
> spare, with this guy staring out his driver's side window at my brush
> guard. AFTER I stopped, the clueless doofus drives off without any
> idea about what almost happened. :-P

HAHAHAHAHAAaaaa - ok - lets see - 5500 LB truck with a huge hunk of
metal stuck on the front end - comes flying at me - I'm gonna get the
hell outta the way!

> Anyway, our stories kinda match up during the aftermath part too, I
> went to a few parts stores trying to find whatever the heck Dodge
> decided to use for tube ends in the proportioning valve and MC.

It came much as a suprise to me this year - after having two customers
with your generation Ram come in looking for brake lines - to discover
Dodge used bubble flare brake line fittings on the Ram's. Prior to that
I only knew of GM having used that. Ford is by far the worse. Most time
there are not even two friggin fittings on one truck that are the same.

> I ended up drilling the rusted brake line out of the ends, cleaning them
> up with a wire wheel, then inserting new brake line through them
> before flaring it, which fortunately worked.

yup I did that too...

> Some days it just isn't worth getting out of bed.

I'd argue that all are...

heh

An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations!
Repo man spends his life gettin' IN tense situations!!!
TerribleTom - AIM & Yahoo: silvereightynine
http://www.myspace.com/silvereightynine
http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine