Re: Brake line failure rant

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2007 - 08:12:57 EST

Terrible Tom wrote:

> Ebrake? whats that?

Hehe well it's that useless extra foot lever... sometimes found tied
in the up position by twine or a heavy elastic band.

> because they are 18 years old and on a truck in the Salt Belt.
>
> Bed of cast iron drain pipes = more load = more weight = harder to stop
> = good tiem for brakes to fail ... thats why :)

Right... dam you Murphy

> Replaced all the brake lines on Christine hehe - found that out myself!
> What a friggin nightmare! Glad you didn't have an accident man!

Well I have to admit it was a lucky spot to have lost the brakes. I
hit the brakes to slow for the left turn into the dump "onramp" and
thought they felt funny. "Doh! Hmm maybe just a fluke" Wait for
traffic... take the left, brake again on the steep incline behind the
line of dump traffic... brake pedal feels soft... a couple moments
later, the pedal drops a bit more... "S##t not good" brake pedal drops
to the floor... brakes creek and truck strats to move backwards. Let
me tell you how quickly I got off that brake and on the gas & clutch.
Clutch got a little toasty, but that was the alternative to impaling
the minivan behind me with my 10 foot sections of drain pipe.