Re: (Mildly OT) Re: ADMIN: Dakota Mailing List Ettiquite [Monthly Posting]

From: Eric (huffy340@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2008 - 21:42:42 EST

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 23:02:25 +0000 (UTC) jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Beyond that, I'm not even sure how top posting came into being

> About the only pseudo-valid reason I can think of for top
> posting is plain ol' laziness.

That's the main one. The reply button (usually) puts the cursor at
the top.

The other is that many people are too lazy to trim, so replies
contain a huge, untrimmed thread of previous emails, making it
easier to see a short answer at the top.

If people refuse to trim, it would be better if they would
select-all-delete before top posting. Or set their email to not
include the previous email in the reply.

Either way, if the DML has posting rules, people should follow
them. It's part of being in the group.

Eric