Re: RE: Spark Plug Carnage

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 00:43:34 EST

Bernd D. Ratsch wrote:

> Wonder how long the coppers were in there. I've seen NS and RS vans (Town &
> Country/Caravan) come in with 130K+ miles on them with the original
> Platinums (worn to hell - no electrode left) but still running. A lot of
> the smaller shops around here do put standard plugs in there and don't tell
> the customers about the change - they just don't last. The average lifespan
> of the platinums in these vans is about 60-65K miles (gap is at .070"+ by
> then).

Well these had no gap at all - there was a nubby melted stub left of the
  side electrode. Ever see an autolite race plug? it sticks up straight
off teh side - no arch over teh center electrode.... thats what these
were in the general shape of.

> BTW: The easiest way to remove the rear plugs is to remove the cowl and
> wiper assembly (takes only an extra 5 minutes to remove). On the '98
> models, some people also remove the upper plenum for ease of access.

Yeah we were talking about pulling the cowl - he said thats what was
going to try and do.

An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations!
Repo man spends his life gettin' IN tense situations!!!
TerribleTom - AIM & Yahoo: silvereightynine
http://www.myspace.com/silvereightynine
http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine