Re: Made in China (was: MDS "on" LED...)

From: Steve Preston (steveophonic@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 17:47:41 EST

Jon,are you sure?? I thought that we keep running
trillions of dollars in trade deficits with China? I
keep hearing that. And it doesn't jive with what I see
on store shelves...but I am in just one small hole in
the universe,granted. Big cities probably have a high
percentage of,shall we say "more exclusive" stores
than anything I ever see. Maybe Chinese goods are low
in such stores.

I am seeing drastic improvements in quality from
China,which leads me to believe that they are
drastically making money and growing (due to
somebody,maybe not all us).

Thanks!

Steve
--- jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Steve Preston <steveophonic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > cheap condensing units and air handlers!! Now
> they're
> > making cars with Chrysler. There are many discount
> and
> > dollar stores that you go into where 98% of the
> items
> > they sell are Chinese,and now that is spreading to
> > Sears,Auto Zone,Cabelas....everything.
>
> > I have no problem at all with goods made
> elsewhere. As
> > long as it's a little bit of this country and that
> > country.
>

> It seems like if you pick up almost anything
> these days, its got
> that "Made in China" label on it, but in this case,
> perception is very
> different from reality. I would bet that many
> people would be
> surprised to learn just how little the US actually
> imports from China.
> In 2007, Chinese imports accounted for just over 7%
> of total US
> imports. That means 93% of goods and services
> imported into the US
> come from places other than China. (Canada and
> Mexico, mostly.) (That
> 7% number is for Jan-Nov of 2007, the December
> numbers don't seem to
> be out yet, but that's in the ballpark - its been
> around 10% for a
> while now.)
>

> > China scares me to death
> > for many reasons,and I try hard to avoid their
> > products,and buy our stuff when possible. That
> means
> > buying "select" New Balance shoes,jeans from Union
> > Jean Co.,one type of Wolverine boots,etc. Have to
> shop
> > mostly online to do it.
>

> I don't have any problem buying products made in
> China, with the
> caveat that you do need to be somewhat careful in
> your purchase
> decision due to the quality control not always being
> what it is
> elsewhere. I mostly just shop for the best value
> for my money, though
> I admit I do make some exceptions, steering clear of
> certain companies
> for various personal or political reasons, but China
> has not made my
> list as of yet, even though I consider communism to
> be an absolutely
> abhorent system of government. Its true that the
> Chinese government
> is benefiting from the foreign trade, but its not
> quite a complete
> communist system - a great deal of the money is
> being retained by the
> people themselves.
>
> China is going to be very interesting to watch.
> The number of new
> Chinese millionares and even billionares is really
> starting to
> skyrocket, and I just don't see the government being
> able to contain
> [...]

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Black 4X4 Sport w/Hemi

2003 Dodge Dakota Sport CC Red 4X2 Sport w/3.9 and 42RE (Work truck,driven the most often)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Silver 4X4 w/4.0 and 42RE

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs