Re: '97 4x4 idler arm

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 02:20:39 EST

On Feb 5, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Hop wrote:

>> Hey guys,
>> Is it possible to change out the idler arm on my dak withough having
>> to removeing a bunch of stuff?
>> It's a 4x4 and has a rancho 3" lift as well as a body lift. From
>> looking at it it looks as If i can get to it pretty easy but, I
>> didn't know If i had to pull the tie-rod ends and pitman arm to get
>> it in and out.
>> Anyone tried this before?
>> Thanks, Hop
>> '97 CC 318 4x4
>>

> One more thing, Who do I know what Size idler arm i have? The parts
> store says there are two different sizes.

No idea on the sizes, but I think with the tires off the ground you
should be able to pop the tie rod off the idler only, unbolt it, and
replace it. There is a ball joint in the end of the pitman that should
give you the misalignment that you need as long as the tires are free
to change toe while you're mangling in there.

I think I have the 112k mile original off my truck in the shed.... I
may be able to get a part number and/or dimension off of it if you can
give me some wild guess to go on.

--
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |

-- Michael Maskalans <http://mike.tepidcola.com/> mobile.612.618.4652 home.585.935.7129