RE: '97 4x4 idler arm

From: Hop (hopsdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 07:57:13 EST

> From: dml@tepidcola.com
> Subject: Re: DML: '97 4x4 idler arm
> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:20:39 -0500
> To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net

> No idea on the sizes, but I think with the tires off the ground you
> should be able to pop the tie rod off the idler only, unbolt it, and
> replace it. There is a ball joint in the end of the pitman that should
> give you the misalignment that you need as long as the tires are free
> to change toe while you're mangling in there.
>
> I think I have the 112k mile original off my truck in the shed.... I
> may be able to get a part number and/or dimension off of it if you can
> give me some wild guess to go on.
> --

Thanks for the reply Mike. I've bought the bigger size stud that they had in stock. I hope it's right because they can't get the other one.

I've looked it over pretty good and I think your right. Looks like there is a stud plate that mounts inside the frame. I should be able to smack it loose with a pickle fork, loosen up the bolts and remove the stud plate from the back side. The steering has been binding up after I had the front end rebuilt. The only thing that wasn't replaced was the idler arm.

Replacing the idler shouldnt affect the alignment should it?

--Hop