RE: 42RE Transmission Acting Up

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@dodgetrucks.org)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2008 - 09:31:13 EST

The startup issue is the PCM forcing limp mode - not a good thing. Governor
pressure is what you need to look at before spending any further money on a
filter/fluid change. If the pressure isn't correct, you'll be needing a
Governor pressure solenoid (and transducer), plus - check what's in the pan
and on the magnet once you do have the pan off.

Pressure should read 1psi per mph up to 20mph in "L". At idle, pressure
should be at "0". If it's jumping around - solenoid is bad. The reason for
changing out the transducer as well is that it senses temperature (along
with pressure too). If it's not reading the correct temp, weird things will
happen (shift points, actual gear selection).

- Bernd